TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: Have some respect
DATE: October 31, 2011
"Value yourself enough to choose to be with someone who wants you as much as you want them."

I came across that quote yesterday, boys, and quickly realized it was the perfect opener for today's lesson. And before you ask, no, this is not about me. I promise.

Respect.

Everybody wants it and thinks they deserve it. And yet, some are so unwilling to give it in return. And when it comes to respect and relationships, the two are mutually exclusive; you can't have one without the other. I know how difficult it can be to always love yourself. After all, we're our own worst critic, and all it takes is one look in the mirror and we're already rattling off a laundry list of our supposed "shortcomings."
It saddens me to see that, of course, but what makes me downright sick to my stomach, boys? People who see that vulnerability in other people and pounce on it as if it were their own chew toy to do with it whatever they'd like.

In recent months, I've seen this happen, and honestly, it just broken my heart. No, wait, it more than breaks my heart. It disgusts me. How could you ever think so little of someone that you think it would be OK to pretend to care about them? How could you ever think it would be OK to blatantly use someone as if they were your puppet on a string? Well here's a wake-up call, boys: It's not OK. Pretending you care about someone just so you can get what you want is about as low as you can go. And not feeling bad about said pretending is stooping even lower. It makes me wonder how in the world you ended up with such a skewed sense of values. Or if you even have any at all.
So I suppose that it should come as no surprise that if, in the very unlikely of circumstances, I should find myself in a "relationship" with one of you, boys, you can be sure I'm going to call you out on it.

Because those type of boys? They aren't to be respected. They aren't to be cheered. In my mind, they aren't even to be liked. They are cowards. They are jerks. Everyone deserve more than that. They are worth more than that.

[Photos via Calendar Girl]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top