I'll just come right out and say it: I hate bullies. In fact, there's nothing I detest more.

I hear the stories from my mom, the stories of her students who are afraid to come to school, the stories of students who don't think twice about laughing at and calling other students down-right nasty names. I've even witnessed bullying more in my adult life than I ever did as a teenager. People who thrive on putting others down just to make themselves feel superior is just, well...incredibly sad. And when that bullying takes the form of adults bullying other adults? It's just plain pathetic, isn't it? No one should ever have that much power to make you feel so small.

So in honor of October being Bullying Awareness Month, I was so glad when I came across the recently released anthology Dear Bully. The book features 70 authors reflecting on their own experiences with bullying, whether they were the victims of bullying or the ones doing the bullying.

It scares me that more and more people, especially adults, are thinking it's cool to turn into real-life Mean Girls. Let's stop it, shall we, friends? The next time you see an act of bullying, stand up and stop it. Because, really, if you just walk by and do nothing, you're just as bad as those who are doing the actual bullying.
And here's an interesting question: If you've been a victim of bullying and had the chance, what would you say to the person who bullied you? If you found yourself bullying other people, what would you say to them? What's your bully story?

You can buy the book here.

P.S. Additional new essays not included in the book are posted once a week here.

[Bottom graphic via Do Something]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top