TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: Go ahead...ask.
DATE: October 17, 2011
Can I get to know you better?

It's just 7 words. It's just one question. And it's the chorus to a song by one of my favorite 60s groups The Turtles. It probably sounds crazy to you, boys, but this is the sexiest pick-up line if you ask me. The hands-down, blows-away-the-competition sexiest. When you think about it, is there really anything more genuine than simply asking someone if you can get to know them? There's something so innocently sexy about that question that would probably make me want to take my heart right off my sleeve and give it to you.

Maybe I'm so moved by this question because of the little fence I've noticed building up since my father's death. Granted, it's not a huge wall, but it nonetheless has made me a bit closed off at times, afraid to get close to anyone and even more afraid of getting hurt again. But this question? If you just came up to me, smiled and asked, "Can I get to know you better...?" Something tells me it would tear down that fence just a little bit, as if gently telling me that you're a good guy.
I'm not naïve. I know being vulnerable means taking a leap without knowing where you'll land or even if you're strapped to a parachute. But I'd rather take a leap in the hopes of discovering the real you than resigning myself with being content to hold a stranger's hand for the rest of my life.

Because when it comes down to it, boys, I want to get to know the real you too. I don't want to get to know some version you think I want to meet. I don't want to get to know you -- only you and all of you.
Think about it: What if we were to strip everything away, scratching and unwrapping layer after superficial layer away? What would we see? Would we even be able to recognize ourselves anymore?

So, go ahead and ask me, boys, if you can get to know me better. And what will I say in return?

"What do want to know?" xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It and Audrey Hepburn Complex]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top