Friends, today's story is from Jessi, one of my favorite young writers and bloggers. She wears her heart and opinions on her sleeve, something I find incredibly refreshing, and isn't afraid to not go with the crowd. I'd love to feature your story, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol)...

Quick facts:
Name... Jessi Haish
Birthday... December 2
Where I'm from... Illinois
3 words that describe me... Honest, Quirky, Loving
Occupation... Movie theater manager
Blog... The Musings of a Wannabe Star
When did you start your blog... November 2009
What inspired you to start a blog?
Melissa did! I was just starting college, and she was my newspaper adviser. She knew how much I loved writing, so she showed me her blog (the first blog I ever read! ), and then pushed me to start my own. I'm so glad she did because I love it!

What do you love the most about blogging? Does anything about it stress you out?
I love being able to reach people with my writing. I love interacting with other bloggers - bouncing around ideas, giving advice, leaving comments... The only thing about it that really stresses me out are anonymous commenters. They aren't all bad, but sometimes they can be vicious! Once I was told by an anon that they hoped I would get hit by a drunk driver. It's crazy how tough people feel when they can hide behind anonymity.

If you had to describe your blog in one sentence, what would you say?
"Oops I overshared...again." My blog is a way for me to explore the journalism world that I want to break into, but at the same time, I can be very over-the-top honest. Sometimes it comes back to kick me in the butt, but I think it's always worth it to be honest.

What has blogging taught you?
Blogging has taught me that anyone can blog - literally anyone - but it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to actually keep it up. Blogging has also taught me a lot about myself. If I go back through old posts, I am constantly surprised about how much I have grown, not only as a writer, but as a person.
What advice do you have for new bloggers?
Don't give up. It may seem like you're talking to yourself, but someone is always reading. Be patient. It takes time to get your name and your blog out there. But don't stop. Someday, you'll be glad you kept working hard. I was blogging for a year and only had about 20 followers, then one day I was miraculously Blog of Note! Just keep trying, and you'll get there.

Where do you see yourself and your blog in 5 years?
In 5 years, I'll be done with college and hopefully working as a writer, whether on the Web or in the print industry. I think my blog will be a little more refined by then. Definitely still "life, love, and music," but even more me. I'm excited to see where my blog takes me.

What has surprised you the most about blogging?
All the cool people I've met. I now have regular blogging "friends" that I talk to through email, blog comments and Twitter. I wish I knew them in real life! You can meet some really great people if you take the time to step away from your blog and explore others. It's amazing all the things you'll learn and all the people you'll meet. Blogging is a beautiful thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top