TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: It's not true.
DATE: October 13, 2011
Oh, boys, some people are just so ill-informed, aren't they? It's quite sad, isn't it? It must be so depressing to live in the dark constantly -- and don't forget pathetic. Depressing and pathetic indeed. Well, allow me to rock your world with a bit of truth, to lead you into the light, if you will. Here's a comment a reader left awhile ago...

I think deep down you know your disability has and always will play a large part in your life, especially your love life. I know you feel that it shouldn't matter, but it does. The first thing people notice about you is your wheelchair. It is a lot to expect a man to look past it and get to know the "real you." Most men (and women) find it easier to pretend you don't exist. They don't want to deal with it. The odds are against you.

I know, I know...this could be very tempting to believe. Here it is, after all, a solid reason supporting why you shouldn't try. Why should you even question it? Just go with it, right?
That mumbo jumbo? It's all wrong. Every last word of it. It's nothing more than a cop-out, a lame excuse to run and look for an out when things get tough. Or maybe you are tempted to not even try in the first place. I'm not sure which one is worse, but both make you look like a sad coward.

So how can you try? Check out my lovely cheat sheet, boys...

Say hello
It wounds so simple, doesn't? And yet time and time again, this one is so often and easily overlooked. But it works. I promise I'll say hello back.

Crack a joke
Need I remind you again how weak in the knees I get over a guy who can make me laugh with wild abandon? If my disability makes you uncomfortable at first, just say something witty or humorous to lighten the mood. I'm figuring that will help both of us relax a bit.

Tell me something interesting about yourself
A hobby. A fun fact. The story of the time you climbed on top of your fence to spy on your pretty neighbor only to fall headfirst into a pile of mud. And you never know...I just might tell you a story or two about me.
So today's moral, boys: Don't believe everything you read. Please. I know that sounds weird coming from a writer, but it's true. Don't be fooled by someone's arrogance and ignorance. I know there's more to you than that... xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top