Have you guys read about Mariah Slick? She was voted homecoming queen at Azle High School in Texas a few weeks ago. She's a favorite among her peers, always friendly, kind and helpful. She also has Down Syndrome and is the first homecoming queen at her school with Down Syndrome.

"I never dreamed she would be nominated homecoming queen, especially since she has special needs," her mother," says Mariah's mom, Susan. "From the moment she was nominated, I was a ball of excitement."

These sorts of news stories always leave me feeling a bit torn. Making Slick's win a headline is sort of like taking a couple steps back. Would this story have made the news if said queen was just a Plain Jane from Pleasantville USA? No, probably not. But on the other hand, seeing people with disabilities being respected always fills my heart with hope. I look forward to a future where this sort of thing doesn't make the news at all because it's so common, a future where people wouldn't do a doubletake, where people's disability comes second.

So, thank you, Mariah, for giving me hope for the future! What do you think, friends?

P.S. You can watch the video here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top