Here's something interesting: All the guys I've ever fallen for have been my opposites. Crush Boy was one of those intellectual types. Brown-Eyed Editor had a wonderfully refreshing sense of humor. And LA Hot Shot was outgoing.

I'd always thought I'd want to be with someone like me (after all, wouldn't you want to date someone as wonderful as you?). At least then, you'd know what to expect and could completely relate to the other person. Part of me likes that idea; there's a sort of comfort in knowing that you know the other person so well because they're, well, so like you. People always talk about how differences can't work. If you have nothing in common, you're going to butt heads too often with the other person, leaving both of you downright miserable.
But when I really think about it, most couples I know are stark opposites of each other. My mom is just about as Type A as you can get, and my dad has always somehow managed to calm down and mellow her out a bit. My grandfather has always been high-strung while my grandmother always went with the flow. And these couples? They were some of the most in-love couples I've ever seen. For some reason, it all seems to work for them.

What works (and has worked) in your relationships, friends? Do you think opposites attract? Or are you more of a birds-of-a-feather believer? And, can your preferences change over time? What about the couples you know? Are they opposite or more alike? Let's chat, friends! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top