Friends, on this lovely Friday morning, I'm excited to share an interview I did with Laine, the brains behind KOKOON. As the designer and founder of the contemporary clothing line, she's a woman who knows her stuff! Read on for the inspiration behind her shop and her tips for online shopping...

Keep in touch...
Official Web site: KOKOON
Check out on Facebook
Follow Laine's blog Daydreamer Was Here

So tell me a bit about KOKOON
KOKOON is fashion line centered around a private pop-up shop concept. We bring our designs to women via appointments or in-home trunk shows, but with a modern and fresh approach. By that, I mean we simply offer the best of boutique shopping (cute clothes, reasonable price points, limited-edition designs, personal service) without the trappings that most people have come to associate with home trunk shows. It's very simple...just shopping!

What inspired you to start the shop?
Well, I started the business in college with my boyfriend (Dik-San, now my husband) 25 years ago. I was working 3 jobs trying to pay my way through college; I was impatient and extremely stubborn, and I just couldn't see waiting to get started. I began selling my designs at some local boutiques, then Dik-San took my first sample line on the road and came back with boutique orders. We both dropped out of school when we had some initial success designing and selling to major department stores and catalogs. We developed a very nice wholesale business for many years, and started the home trunk shows about 10 years ago, completely by accident...they started as a way for us to sell off all our cancelled orders in the aftermath of 9/11. It took us quite a few years to develop the business properly, but we absolutely love it now.

In this recession economy, what are some ways people can still look chic for less?
I believe you can look fabulous without spending a ton of money. First, visit your own closet often. I do this all the time! Add newness by only purchasing a few items that you absolutely love, and make sure those pieces are 'mileage' pieces...ones that you will not only wear often, but are pieces that others SEE you in...it's important that your coat or layering sweaters look great and that you feel wonderful in them. Personally, I'm crazy about shoes and handbags, and I love mixing vintage and consignment finds with my wardrobe.
What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
Well, I love so many of our knits, but if I have to choose, I'd say I'm crazy for our Jennifer dress and tops. They're sexy without being overtly so, and they're still warm and cozy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top