Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
I was reading over some of my past blog comments last night (you wouldn't believe some of the dozies I've received) when one of them caught my eye...

Have you ever considered that it might be you that has to make the first move? You seem to hold out hoping that a guy will get over his insecurities and talk to you, but you don't address getting over your own shyness and making the first move on a guy.

Humpf. Interesting question. I just sort of sat there for a moment. Who knows - maybe I even had a deer-the-headlights look on my face. You probably know I'm usually the type to jump to answer questions, but with this one, I just sat and contemplated for a few minutes. The question almost became a sort of riddle. And then it all became as clear as day: I always assumed you'd be the one making the first move.
I imagined you saying something along the lines of "So, would you like to go out sometime?" Maybe we've known each other for awhile, or maybe we just met at work or through friends. At first I might not pick up on the subtext behind your pretext. I do apologize in advance if it should happen to go right over my head. It's not my intention. I promise. It's just that I might not have had much past experience on which to draw from. So you may have to answer the question again if you should find a look of bewildered puzzlement on my face. I will catch on eventually.

Now, lest you think I don't have a feminist bone in my body, Sweetpea, it's not that I don't think women should be the ones doing the asking. In fact, I've always been just a wee bit jealous of those girls. You know the type, Sweetpea. Those girls who can oh-so-casually walk up to a guy, look him straight in the eye, and ask him out. Right there. On the spot. With no cue cards. They can make it look so natural, as if it's the sort of thing they'd been doing their whole lives. They had perfected it
Ay, but maybe there's the problem. Science. There I go. Again. I'm probably making things harder than they need to be, trying to mold something to fit some sort of arbitrary scientific equation when there really isn't one. Do these things just naturally happen, Sweetpea? Are they supposed to? How do you make it look natural? And even more than that, how do you not put pressure on the other person? They say practice makes perfect, so maybe I should start randomly asking people out...I'm kidding.

What would happen if I ask you out, Sweetpea? Would you say yes? Well, I mean, of course you'll say yes, but did I have to ask more than once? Until we meet... xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top