Last week, I posted half of the recent interview I had with the lovely Sarah of Yes and Yes. She interviewed me for her True Story series, and I'd love to share the rest of my answers with you today, friends! I hope you enjoy it, and as always, feel free to send me your own questions to mellow1422 [at] aol [dot] com, or leave them in the comments below! xoxo
What are the biggest misconceptions about disability and dating?
Definitely that women with disabilities aren't interested in dating. Sometimes, people forget that we're just like them. Maybe they think that we have "more important things to worry about," but we want love just like anyone else.

How have the people in your life reacted to your dating life?
Actually, people in my life haven't ever been very vocal about my dating life. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Thank goodness, no one has ever said anything offensive. Maybe they didn't see me making a big deal about my dating life and took their cue from me. I've found with my disability that if people don't know what to say, then they don't say anything at all. And honestly, I'd rather have them ask than not ask. It's not like I have some big secret that I don't want to talk about.

What advice would you give to anybody in a similar situation?
Be honest. Be true to yourself. My parents raised me with the belief that I could do anything, and it's that sense of independence that has made me reach for so many things in life. Yes, there are obstacles in my way because of my disability, but I don't let them stop me. I'm grateful for all their encouragement.

[Photo via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top