Confession: I'm not very good at spontaneity, though you've probably already figured that out by now. Frankly, flying by the seat of my pants, especially when it comes to falling in love, terrifies me. Maybe that's why I can identify so much with new lovebird Amy and Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. They, like me, have no idea what they're doing, so they draft a little Relationship Agreement to help them navigate these new dating waters -- some relationship dos and don'ts, if you will. A job description with a romantic twist. They define, on paper, their relationship, so that both are on the same page (pun intended...).

It got me thinking: Would that really translate to real life? Could you really take something so intangible like love and put neat little parameters around it? I'm not quite sure, but there are some things I'm certain would go on my Relationship Agreement...
*Neither party shall go to bed angry.

*Hand holding is discouraged in public.

*All date cancellations must be made at least one day before date was supposed to take place.

*All dates must be made at least a week in advance. Time, location and date activity must be agreed upon by both parties.

*When either party falls ill, he/she shall be showered with chicken soup and the movie of his/her choice.


Bottom line: Planning is romantic in its own way. It shows you care enough about the other person to invest a large part of yourself into making the relationship work. After all, you wouldn't make a Relationship Agreement with just anyone. It's reserved for those special people who you really feel a connection with -- those people you can see yourself with in the future. And that's a pretty special thing, if you ask me.

When I find myself in that first relationship someday, like Sheldon, I may not know what I'm doing, but I do know one thing. I'll be armed with my own version of a Relationship Agreement. Pen included.
So, tell me, friends, do you think a Relationship Agreement is unrealistic in real life? Would it even work? What sorts of things would you include in your list? Do you think men and women would put different things at the top of their lists? And for fun, what TV couple do you identify with the most? xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top