I've been wanting to post about this subject for awhile now (here's a hint), so I thought it would make a good topic for this week's question. Have a question? I'd love to hear it, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol) or ask me on Facebook or Twitter, friends! Today's question...

What is your favorite musical?
There’s no business like show business. Everything about it is appealing. And of course, nowhere can you get that happy feeling.

That’s what the famous dance number from Annie, Get Your Gun tells us, at least. The song also says that there are no people like show people – those happy, flashy, extravagant, over-the-top people who have seamlessly mastered the art of acting, singing and dancing.

I have a confession. I, for once, feel like I’m standing ahead of a trend, looking back and saying “I told you so” to the poor saps who are finally catching up to the glory that is the Grand Musical. People have tried to hide their love of a good shake-and-dance show, but I’ve been an advocate for musicals my whole life.
I suppose I have my mother to thank for my overabundant love of musicals. She started us early and often. I had memorized every song in Annie when I was 4. Oklahoma by the time I was 8. In the car on those long family trips, we even sang. What was my mom’s standard of choice? Musicals, of course, usually something from My Fair Lady or The King And I. I almost think if you ask her nicely, she’ll belt out On The Street Where You Live at your child’s next party or Bar Mitzvah.
Musicals can make anything look – and sound – like a big, grand event. A giant party. An inside look at the devastating world of gangs? There’s West Side Story. A melancholy story of parents who pawned their children off to a nanny? Try Mary Poppins. A movie that portrays people actually enjoying and getting down tonight in the 1970s? Don’t forget Saturday Night Fever. The story of a washed up movie star with delusions of grandeur? There's my all-time favorite Sunset Boulevard.
What are your favorite musicals, friends? Do you find yourself singing along like I do? xoxo

P.S. A new Love Lounge is coming up soon! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top