I always get so inspired when I see positive news stories about people with disabilities -- the kind that highlight the person more than the disability. It makes me feel like, little by little, those walls of stereotypes and misconceptions are being torn down. After all, remember the amazing Mariah Slick? So, I'm so excited to introduce a new feature today, friends: Disabilities In The Media. I'll be sharing stories of movers and shakers who are making headlines, not for their disabilities, but in spite of them.
First up: Meet Annie Clark. The seven-year-old recently took home the Nicholas Maxim Award for her exceptional handwriting. This was the first time that educational publisher Zaner-Bloser Inc. offered the award to students with disabilities. As she was cheered on by her fellow students, Annie accepted the award on her school's basketball court.

"Annie has always been very, very determined, very self-sufficient in dressing herself and feeding herself," says her dad, Tom. "She can ride a bike. She swims. She is just determined that there's nothing she can't do."

You go, Annie! Have you read any stories about people with disabilities lately, friends? I'd love to feature them, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol), send me a Tweet or post on So About What I Said's Facebook page! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top