Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
Well, here we are, Sweetpea...the second day of 2012. I suppose I should say here I am, considering I have zero idea who you are or where you are as I write this. But nonetheless, it is a new year. A time to make a new start. A time to make a change. A time to turn over a new leaf. Have we talked a lot about how we feel about the dawning of a new year? Some people are so nonchalant about it, and I've always wanted to be one of those people. To them, the new year is just another page turned on the calendar. It doesn't mean much, and it's certainly not a time to make resolutions -- the kind of resolutions that come with their own set of specific and precise instructions on how said resolutions will be accomplished over the next 12 months. Instead, they just go about their normal daily routine, sometimes not even pausing to think of all that has happened over the past year.

There's something to be said for their strategy. For one, it takes a whole heap of pressure off. I've always tried to avoid that pressure by focusing on the positives that lie ahead instead of constantly looking behind my shoulder into the past. I'm so excited to continue molding future Bob Woodward this year -- can you believe none of them have ever seen All The President's Men? That's one of my absolute favorite movies, but more on that later. I'm also looking forward to blogging over the next 12 months. Do you read my blog, Sweetpea? I still sometimes wonder if you read it, and I still can't wrap my head around the idea that you could be reading all about me while I know virtually nothing about you.
And who knows...this could be the year we meet. That's even sort of wild for me to think about. I could meet you in the aisle at the grocery store. I could meet you at the bookstore. The fact that there are so many possibilities is sort of what makes it even more exciting, you know? It's almost as if the anticipation of meeting this year would be just as thrilling as if we actually did meet.

But new beginnings can be incredibly daunting, can't they? Are you ready for said beginning? Is it even the sort of beginning that you want or need? Can you ever go back if you realize you've made a mistake? And sometimes, once you get that new beginning you always thought you wanted, it doesn't quite measure up to what you thought it would be.

I can hear the wind howling outside my windows as I write this. It's the sort of fierce, gusty and cold January wind that whips against your cheeks, leaving little red patches in its wake. And it just occurred to me: Like a glass filled only halfway with water, I suppose there are two ways to look at the wind. On the one hand, you could see the wind as a detrimental foe that's holding you back. Or, you could see it as a wild force that's propelling you ever forward. I'm going to let the wind push me forward this year, Sweetpea, into a year of new adventures. Until we meet... xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top