Let's just get this out of the way right now: I've never been on a date., let alone a first date. We've established that before, but I thought it best to keep you informed of any changes -- or lack thereof.

I'm learning to be OK with it too -- this whole no-table-for-two-experience. I mean, it's not like it comes up very often in everyday conversation; it's not the kind of tidbit you slip into the office conversation, saying, "Hey, I've never been on a date," between a deep discussion of last night's episode of the Bachelor and gossip about the new intern. It's just not not the sort of thing that comes up.
I never used to feel this way, though. Maybe I was even ashamed of it, as if it was something I had to work so desperately hard to hide. No one could ever find out my secret. I even thought that everything would be perfect if I could just go on that first date -- then, I'd know those feelings I'd heard people talk about. You know, those awkward butterflies. The stolen glances. The accidental arm brush.

But you see, that's the beauty of the whole thing, I think. Not having been on a first date yet gives me a sort of clean slate. It can be anything I want it to be. And when I think about it like that, I know those butterflies, glances and arm brushes will happen for me. Eventually. When the time is right.
And when you think about it, maybe it's not so much about the date itself than it is about the person you're with. You could be eating atop the Eiffel Tower, but if the person is a rude, conversation hog, the date is just going to be plain awful. But if you're with someone who makes you feel relaxed and wants to get to know you, even if you're stuvk at the movie theater because of a blizzard, chances are that the hours won't seem to tick by so slowly.

So, friends, I'd love to know: What was your first date like? How old were you? What's your idea of a perfect date now? What was the best date you've ever been on? What made it so special? Did you learn anything about yourself from the date? Let's chat! xoxo

P.S. Have you heard of the 3-hour rule? Thoughts? :)

[Top chart via I Love Charts, other photos via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top