Friends, I'm so excited to share an interview I did with Nicole of Radiant Cosmetics, the fashion and beauty line born out of Nicole's quest to fight "human trafficking one lipstick at a time." Read on for her story and find out what you can do to help...

Keep in touch...
Official Web site: Radiant Cosmetics
Check out on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
What inspired you to start Radiant Cosmetics?
I always loved beauty and fashion, so naturally had a love for all things makeup. That part always was in the plan. However, the passion to end human trafficking came later. I was living overseas at the time and got to spend a month in Thailand working with a really incredible anti-trafficking organization and spent time meeting women who’d been rescued and those also trapped in the commercial sex trade (which feeds into human trafficking) and felt burdened and compelled to do something. Radiant is a combination of two passions of mine, but even deeper than that, I really believe there is power when women get together and talk. I think makeup really allows for that, I get to sit down with women and hear their stories and share a small piece of my heart. I think we underestimate that, so that also served as an inspiration, harnessing that power, if you will.

What is one fact or statistic about human trafficking that people would be surprised to learn?
I think people are most surprised to learn that it happens right here in the United States. We tend to think of this as a third-world country and predominantly a problem only overseas. The U.S. government estimates that over 100,000 children are trapped in the sex trade in the U.S. each year, and 18,000 foreign men, women and children are trafficked into the U.S. annually. The global reach of this injustice is staggering; 161 countries worldwide have been identified as affected by human trafficking. It is happening everywhere.
What has Radiant Cosmetics done thus far to combat human trafficking? Are you pleased with the results?
Thus far, most of our efforts have been awareness of human trafficking and financial contributions. I have been very pleased with the results, and it’s been exciting to watch our numbers grow, specifically in the money we get to give to our partner organization each month. I love knowing that our customers are giving back with each product they purchase. I also really love getting to speak with women one-on-one about human trafficking and feel we’re making an impact that way. While I’m pleased with our results, we continue to want to improve and find other unique ways to help. We’ve got a really amazing, hands-on event coming up in the next several months that I believe others will really love and will be moved by. I’m excited to see how that impacts others as well.

What can people do to make a difference?
Get educated and get involved! There are so many amazing organizations that are working to end this injustice. I’ve got quite a few listed on the Human Trafficking section of my Web site. Learning more about human trafficking is the first step. But perhaps the most crucial step is doing something about it. There are tons of ways you can volunteer your time and/or donate money to the cause.

Where do you see the company in 5 years?
I see Radiant as a driving force behind ending human trafficking. I see our customers rallying behind what we stand for and getting involved. I definitely see Radiant expanding it’s reach to overseas with organizations in Thailand and India and various other places to help women.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top