My parents got engaged 34 years ago this week -- yesterday, in fact, to be more precise. I was talking about it with my mom last night when I realized that I didn't know very much of the story behind their E Day. So being the curious person that I am, I began to subtly interrogate her with questions.

Who proposed?
Where did the romantic moment take place?
Was a sparkler presented?


I was expecting an elaborately detailed and romantic proposal, complete with a string quartet. I'd always imagined my father having memorized his speech, with a copy of it in his shirt pocket in case he got nervous and forgot his lines. I pictured my mother sitting next to him after he proposed, looking down at her ring, and then both of them dreaming up plans for their perfect wedding.

Surprisingly, though, my mom told me the entire affair was actually pretty low-key. My father proposed to her in his parents' house. He was 26, and my mom was 21. He didn't have a ring at the time, so they went and picked one out together.

I'd always thought I'd wanted that fairytale, romantic proposal full of "I love yous" and "forevers" and "soul mate." But maybe you can still have that even with a not-so-traditional proposal. My parents did, and they were the most in-love couple I've ever met. So maybe in the end, that whole grand, over-the-top proposal isn't really all that important. It's romantic, sure, but it's what comes days, months and even years after saying "Yes" that matters the most.

So, friends, I'd love to know: Do you know your parents' engagement story? Was it traditional or more unique? Does your mom still have her engagement ring (that's one question I forgot to ask my mom!)? Are you currently engaged? Are you planning to pop the question soon? Do you think a beau is planning to pop the question to you soon? Let's talk all things engagement, friends... xoxo

P.S. Four romantic engagement shoots.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top