TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: Three magic words.
DATE: September 29, 2011
Boys, you're about to witness to a very historic moment today. A day that, quite honestly, I never thought would come sometimes. A day I thought was out of the realm of all possibilities. A day that I thought had as much chance of happening as my going an entire day without doing something completely and utterly awkward.

But, boys, the day has arrived. There's no point of postponing the inevitable, so I'll just come right out and say it. Alright, here it goes...

I. Am. Humbled.

Yes, you read that correctly. I've been humbled...something in this wide, expansive cosmos has caused me to jump back in amazement and awe. You, the majority of you boys, say "I love you" first in relationships. According to a study, two-thirds of couples report that the guy gushed "I love you" first. Now, granted, I don't have any stats from years past for comparable purposes, but this seems pretty spectacular to me, don't you think?
So this has me wondering: What pushes you over the edge into I-want-to-say-I-love-you territory? Is it the stars of fate that are aligning so well? Are you just tired of being single? And what happens if I don't return the lovely gesture? I don't want to say "I love you" because I feel like I have to, and you know very well that I'm not going to say it if I don't damn well mean it.

But just to play Devil's Advocate here: Is there a reason women are hesitant to be the first ones to drop the "L" bomb? Do we view a man saying "I love you" differently than we view a woman saying the same three words? Women are seen as needy and vulnerable when they put their feelings on their sleeves, so maybe women aren't as quick to throw those words around so quickly. Men, on the other hand, are seen as feeling and sensitive when they express their feelings, so maybe they feel a bit more comfortable being the first to say it.
So is there really a stigma attached to who utters those three fateful words first, boys? Do you have any stories to share? I'd love to hear! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top