Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
I recently came across this interesting quote from Oscar Wilde...

"Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women have a more subtle instinct: What they like is to be a man's last romance."

I'll be the first to admit, Sweetpea, that I've never given much thought to the order of things when it comes to our relationship and its place in time. Well, OK, maybe I've thought about it just a little bit. The insecure part of me is certain that you wooed quite the prettiest of beauties by the time I waltzed into your life. On the other hand, the over-inflated ego part of me is certain that you will have absolutely no idea what a great love is until you lock eyes with me for the first time.
But beyond that, I do wonder: Is the number of people we've dated before each other really so important? It seems like there's a pride thing that goes along with a guy being a woman's first love. Maybe you don't want to be compared to anyone else and don't want your own insecurities to get in the way of the relationship. Surely, we are going to grow and learn things from our past relationships -- things we'll take with us on our journey together -- so maybe this need to be the first love shouldn't be so important, you know? It sort of boggles my mind, though, when I think about what you'll have been like in a past relationship and what you'll be like when we meet. The same person? More confident? More mature? Maybe you'll have become a better listener (I hope so...) or developed a party habit (I hope not...).

And, is there even a difference between love and romance? Do they even mean the same thing? Is one better than the other? Does one last longer than the other? Because, really, doesn't everyone want the one that endures. No one wants the one that is fleeting and feels like more of a summer romance than a life-long love affair. I know that's the kind I'm looking forward to. I want the one that is serious, passionate and all-encompassing.
And another thing I'm certain of? I'm going to be your greatest love affair of all time. I'm going to be your last great romance, and we're going to be in this crazy, wild, rollercoaster of a love affair together. For the long haul. You're stuck with me, Sweetpea, so buckle up! Until we meet...

[Photos via Le Love]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top